Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Words from the mouth of a journalist...

Don Meyers, a reporter from the Salt Lake Tribune (and a friend of Bro. Campbell’s when they both went to BYU), spoke to my Comms 239 class on October 14 about “The Mind of a Journalist”. (I liked him. Follow him here on @twitter)


He began by talking about how some journalists see their job as a “priesthood” or calling, which is also mentioned in our “Elements of Journalism” book.


While some journalists may believe this, I’m not one of them.


I choose to be a journalist not because I think it’s a profession that was chosen for me as some divine calling, or that it’s of a higher order, but because I consider myself a story-teller—which is another point Meyers addressed.

“We are storytellers at heart. Plus, we are also historians probably with a sense of justice.”


Even as a mere student journalist reporting for KBYU, every week I work to tell a story that explains an issue that's happening in the community and how it affects any viewer that may be watching. Journalism for me is a way of serving others. I also agree with what Meyer’s said about journalists as “historians with a sense of justice”. Journalists act as watchdogs of society—as a sort of fourth branch of government. (http://bit.ly/1msMmd)


Meyers also talked about the story covering the collapse of Crandall Canyon in Emery County mine (http://bit.ly/93pwh9) where the mine collapsed and the owner blamed it on an earthquake. Seismographs later showed that the cause was actually due to the mine collapse, and the Salt Lake Tribune discovered they were using a procedure called “retreat mine”. Journalists were able to unveil vague aspects of the story through the Freedom of Information Act and the Government Records Access and Management Act. I think this example proves journalists as not only storytellers, but everyday heroes.

1 comment:

  1. I love what you said about being a storyteller at heart. I think that is why we are all aspiring journalists; to find someone's story, make it our own, and then tell it to the world. No matter what level we are doing it on, we are still being true our "inner journalists" if you will. We are definitely a special breed, because most people are interested in telling their own stories, but journalists tend to find themselves through what they report. We live to serve. Maybe its a calling, and maybe not, but either way its a path that few choose these days making us pretty unique.

    ReplyDelete